MyCase is an online system available from the Utah State Courts. You can use MyCase to:
  • View your case history (a record of what has happened on your case.
  • View the papers that have been filed in your case.
  • View a list of scheduled hearings (including past and upcoming hearings)
  • Make payments
  • File Documents in your existing Debt Collection, Eviction, and Small Claims case
Although you can only file documents in a limited number of case types, you can access your case information for these types of cases:
  • Criminal cases
  • Debt Collection
  • Divorce
  • Eviction
  • Temporary Separation
  • Small Claims
Both open and closed cases can be accessed in the system. 
There is no fee to use any of these features in MyCase.

How to Sign up
Visit the MyCase page and click "Create a new MyCase account" to sign up. You will need:
  • an email address
  • your case number
  • your government issued ID
The system will verify your identity and then send you an email with instructions on how to access the system.  If you don't receive an email, please check your spam folder.
If you have problems creating an account, contact the Self-Help Center at

Filing Papers Through MyCase
You can file papers using MyCase for some case types (debt collection, eviction, and small claims).  This is available under eDocument Preparation when you click File an eDocument.

When you file your papers in MyCase they are considered submitted. The date you submit your papers is the date your papers are filed. However, court staff must review your papers for them to be accepted and a part of your case. If they accept your papers a day after you submit them your papers will still be considered filed on the date you submitted them.
When you file a paper in MyCase you will be able to see the document listed right away as submitted. Make sure you view the home screen to confirm that your document was submitted.

Notifications in MyCase
You might not receive all notifications about your case through MyCase. Although you can sign up to receive email or text notifications, you still need to check the US mail and your email.

Viewing other cases
If you have more than one court case, you can ask to have those cases linked to your MyCase account. This option is available under My Profile. It could take a few days to process your request. Not all case types can be added at this time.
When your cases have been linked you can view all linked cases by clicking on the case number drop down menu in the upper left-hand corner. When you click on one of the cases in the menu, MyCase will display the case information for the case you selected.